National Honor Society
The purposes of the National Honor Society as found in the National Honor Society Constitution are:
• To create enthusiasm for scholarship
• To stimulate a desire to render service
• To promote leadership
• To develop character
- Membership Deadline Mon., November 26th, 2019, 11:55 p.m.!
- NHS School Supplies Drive - September 16 thru 20
- NHS Toy Drive - December 9 thru 13
- NHS Pet Supplies Drive - February 3 thru 7
- NHS Final Hours Submission - Due March 20, 2020 by 11:55 p.m.!
Mon., November 26th, 2019 11:55 p.m.!
NHS Final Hours Submission - Due March 20, 2020 by 11:55 p.m.
All final hours for National Honor Society members are due by 11:55 p.m. on March 20th, 2020. Students may upload hours to The National Honor Society Moodle page between February 1st and March 20th. Please remember to submit ALL service hours for the year, including a re-submission of the hours submitted at the November check.
A maximum of 10 documents may be uploaded all at once to verify hours earned. Due to a high volume of unreadable files from previous due dates, ALL submissions must be .pdf, .png, or .jpg/.jpeg format. If you are not sure how to do this, please get help ahead of time.
Once students confirm and submit their hours, they will not be able to return and change the submission. Students who do not upload their final hours will not be considered for admission into National Honor Society for the 2020-21 school year. (Yes, you are being inducted into NHS for next year.) There is no appeal process for not turning hours in on time or a cumulative GPA below 3.5. Students will be notified via email if they were accepted into National Honor Society and if they earned the Give 100 Award.
If you believe we have made an error or have any questions, please contact Ms. Hartinger.
WHS NHS 2019-20 Student FAQ Welcome Meeting
- Membership Requirements 2019-20
- Honor Society Elections 2019-20: Intrested in beng a student officer for our chapter?
WOODINVILLE HIGH SCHOOL CHAPTER
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS 2019-20
This document will outline the requirement and pertinent information for potential members of the National Honor Society (NHS). Please read this information carefully. Many missed deadlines and requirements can be attributed to lapses of attention to the information in this document.
DEADLINES: Do not wait until the last day to sign up or turn in documents to Moodle. There will be absolutely NO exceptions to missed deadlines. Please plan ahead!
A complete membership application includes the following: Intent to Join Form/Essay Questions, payment of annual dues (you do not need to turn a receipt to Mr. Kittler/Ms. Hartinger), and a complete Community Service Hour log(s). Complete applications will be turned into moodle.nsd.org. Instructions regarding how to create an account and/or turn in hours can be found on the Woodinville High School Honor Society website.
GPA Requirement: A junior/senior student is eligible if he/she has a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, carried for two consecutive semesters. Spring 2018 and previous grades will determine if the student is accepted into Honor Society during the 2018-2019 school year. Fall 2018 semester grades will be reviewed after they are submitted by teachers in February. Any student whose cumulative GPA drops below a 3.5 will not be accepted into Honor Society during the 2018-2019 school year. For freshmen, fall 2018 grades will determine eligibility.
Intent to Join Forms: These forms are due no later than 11:55 p.m. on November 26th, 2019. Forms are only available online at the WHS NHS webpage or the Woodinville High School Honor Society Moodle page. Essay Questions: Type your responses to the following questions in the Intent to Join form. Maximum of 250 words per question.
1. What do you feel is the purpose of Honor Society?
2. Describe three leadership qualities you possess.
3. In what ways do you give back to the community?
4. What are your academic goals for this school year?
Annual Dues: The dues for the 2019-20 school year are $15. This non-refundable payment is due no later than November 26th, 2019. Payments can be made online or at the cashier's office or main office. Make checks payable to WHS.
Community Service Requirement: Hours earned after March 16th, 2019 are eligible for inclusion in the 2019-20 hours requirement. The standard requirement for all grades is 30 total hours broken into two designations: 20 hours to the general community and 10 hours to the direct benefit of WHS (“in-school” hours). Drives sponsored by the WHS Honor Society are considered school hours.
All Students: On November 26th, 2019, your first 5 hours are due along with dues, and the intent to join form and essay questions. The final 30 hours are due March 20, 2020. Multiple Community Service logs may be used to complete this requirement, if necessary. Please keep a log of the hours you turned in as you will not be able to access the hours previously submitted. All community service forms must include signature and/or email and phone number of the coordinating adult. Applications without signatures/emails will not be accepted. All students are responsible for scanning any necessary documents to upload to Moodle. The library has a scanner that students can use.
A special announcement to seniors applying to colleges: The NHS is an organization that stresses integrity, and in recent years, many seniors submitted intent to join forms without completing the community service requirement. Thus we stress the following message:
- It is unethical to claim membership in National Honor Society on a college or scholarship application if you have no intention of completing your community service hours. It is a matter of honor to complete all requirements in the senior year.
HONOR SOCIETY ELECTIONS 2019-20
Interested in being a student officer for our chapter?
- Application due April 5, 2019
- Campaigning will take place April 15-19, 2019
- A Google poll will be sent on April 19, 2019 to NSD emails and voting will take place April 19th until April 22, 2019 at 11:55PM
- 2019/2020 officers will be announced April 22, 2019
- Posters must be down April 22, 2019 by the time school starts
- Voting is only open to current 2019 NHS members
- Candidates must get their posters approved and stamped by ASB (max 25 8.5x11)
- Applications can be found on the NHS website and turned into Mr. Kittler in room 329
President, Vice President, Senior Rep, Junior Rep, Secretary/Treasurer, Community Service Rep
*Any position can have up to 2 people running together as a co-position
NHS Volunteer Opportunities