There will be a 2 part grade check (WIAA and NSD) conducted during the 2nd full week of the fall season:
WIAA 18.7.0 SCHOLARSHIP
In order to maintain eligibility during the current semester/trimester, the student shall maintain passing grades, or the minimum grade standards as determined by the school district if more restrictive, in a minimum of:
- 3 classes in a 4 period class schedule or the equivalent credits
- 4 classes in a 5 period class schedule or the equivalent credits
- 5 classes in a 6 period class schedule or the equivalent credits
- 6 classes in a 7 period class schedule or the equivalent credits
- 7 classes in an 8 period class schedule or the equivalent credits
Class schedule guidelines referenced above shall be the requirement of all full-time students in that school.
RUNNING START COURSES EQUIVALENT
- One - 5 credit quarter course One high school credit
- One - 3 credit semester course One high school credit
NOTE: Any class posted as a “W” indicates a student has withdrawn from the class and is not considered a class toward the minimum class or the equivalent credit requirements.
Northshore School District Standards
GPA for the previous semester must be 2.0 or above
- WIAA 18.7.1 Member schools may allow only seniors who are on track to graduate to initially enroll in one less class than the minimum number of classes required for other students. Seniors enrolled in one less class than other students must maintain passing grades in all classes in which they initially enrolled in order to remain academically eligible. Seniors may not drop or withdraw from a class in order to remain eligible.
Grade Check #1
Initial Fall Grade Checks (WIAA and NSD Standards) – Based on Previous June Semester- 5-week probation
- Not meeting WIAA standard the athlete can practice but can’t compete.
- WIAA 18.7.6 ACADEMIC SUSPENSION PERIOD - A student who failed to make the grade requirements of 18.7.4 shall be placed on suspension. The student shall be ineligible during the suspension period. If, at the end of the suspension period, the student is passing in the minimum number of classes required above, the student may then be reinstated for interscholastic competition.
- The suspension period for high school students shall be from the end of the previous semester through the fourth Saturday in September in the fall or the first five (5) weeks of the succeeding semester/trimester.
- Please note that the WIAA 5 week probation period happens after final grades have been posted to transcript in June and January.
- Not meeting NSD standards – 5 week probation period outlined above by the WIAA. The athlete can practice but can’t compete.
- Athletes that are not academically eligible may not be in full uniform at a contest. They can be in a jersey or team sweat jacket with jeans. They may sit on the bench or on the sidelines.
- Exception can be if a student attended summer school. Classes passed will count towards the 6 classes and the grades will be calculated into their June GPA.
Grade Check #2
1st Quarter Five-week Interim Progress Report (WIAA Standard Only)
- Check all athletes on current rosters (all levels).
- Not meeting WIAA standard – May practice but not compete until passing 6 classes is documented on a progress report and cleared by the building AD. (day to day)
Grade Check #3
1st Quarter Grades (WIAA Standard Only)
- Check all athletes still in post–season competition
Not meeting WIAA standard – May practice but not compete until passing 6 classes is documented on a progress report and cleared by the building AD. (day to day)