Senior Application "Cheat Sheet"
- Create a Common App Account
- “Waive your rights”
- Add Counselor and Recommenders to each school you are applying to, as required (NOTE: you can select different recommenders for each school).
- Recommendations, School Reports and transcripts are all sent electronically by Teachers and Counselors.
- Create an account to start application
- Submit requests for transcripts and letters of recommendation to Teachers and your Counselor, as required by Colleges/Universities.
Direct to Institution:
- Follow the application prompts on the University/College website.
You can request a transcript using the following platforms:
Your Counselor will use Common App to submit your transcript for schools added to your Common App
Transcripts can be requested through Coalition- NOTE: UW does not require a transcript to be submitted
Use Naviance to request a transcript for any school you apply to using the College/University website.
Letters of Recommendation are usually required by private colleges and/or honors colleges. Make sure to check your university’s admissions requirements!
Fill out the Letter of Rec (LOR) form on Naviance – found in the Documents Library and Class of 2020 folder
Consider asking teachers from the following disciplines:
- Math/Science AND English/History
- And/or ask a teacher in the career you plan to pursue
- Is a Counselor Rec Required?
Speak with your Recommenders AT LEAST 2-3 weeks in advance of a deadline.
Teachers have a max capacity with the amount of letters they will write, ask early!
- Add ALL Colleges/Universities to “Colleges I’m Applying to” (even if you aren’t requesting a transcript)
- Make sure to click “Request Transcript” so that Mrs. Porter can send your transcripts to schools who require one. Do not submit a request for Colleges in the Common Application or Coalition.
- Complete All High School and Beyond “Tasks” found under the “My Planner” tab. This is a graduation requirement!
Take a test if you have not done so already. This is a requirement to enter a 4-year college/university (not required for community colleges). If you have taken a test and need to send your scores, log into your ACT or CollegeBoard account to send an “Official Score Report”.
|2019-2020 SAT Dates||2019-2020 ACT Dates|
|Test Date||Deadline to Register||Test Date||Deadline to Register|
|November 2, 2019||October 3, 2019||October 26, 2019||September 27, 2019|
|October22, 2019 (LATE REG)||October 8, 2019 (LATE REG)|
|December 7, 2019||November 8, 2019||December 14, 2019||November 8, 2019|
|November 26, 2019 (LATE REG)||November 22, 2019 (LATE REG)|
Most Colleges/Universities require you submit an essay with your application. Check the college’s website for admission requirements and the specific prompt that you need to respond to in your essay. Ask a teacher, friend or other reliable source to provide feedback or edits as you write and finalize your essay. ALSO plan to attend "College Apps and Snacks" for Counselor feedback/support.
What is College Apps and Snacks??
Counselors have reserved the Career Center on the dates listed below and will be providing seniors with time to work, during the school day, on college applications. Counselors will be on hand to provide feedback and support for any questions related to applications, college essays, recommendations, etc. Snacks are provided! Students must do a pre-arranged absence with the career center ahead of time.
|November 5, 2019|
|November 26, 2019||December 10, 2019|
**Dates may be subject to change. Watch out for announcements!