Although not required, we are often asked what supplies will help students be prepared. See below for information regarding support for school supplies from the Northshore Schools Foundation.
As a general rule, students should be supplied with basic items throughout the year:
- Blue or black pens (.5 or .7)
- Pencils (#2)
- Highlighters (various colors)
- College ruled loose-leaf lined paper
- Binder with a divider for each class
- Spiral or composition notebooks
- Flash drive
WHS Student ID Card – Required, free:
- All students will be photographed and will be issued an ID card free of charge
- Students must carry photo ID at school and at extra-curricular activities
- Students are encouraged to convert the ID card to an ASB card by paying the ASB membership fee* that provides benefits such as reduced or free admission to school activities*
- ASB membership is required* to participate in athletics or clubs
*Reduced or waived fees: Do you qualify for free or reduced priced meals? Visit the District website to learn how you can waive some fees.
Student Handbook/Planner – Required, free:
- Students will be provided with a Student Handbook/Planner for their use during the school year
Individual teachers will provide information for any additional supplies for their class. Look for a syllabus to come home with your student once school begins.
English Classes (common items used across all English classes):
- Blue/Black pens (.5 or .7)
- Pencils (#2)
- Commonplace Notebook -- teachers will specify
- Loose-leaf lined paper
- Sticky Notes (small and medium size) for annotating text*
- Highlighters of various colors*
- Writing Analytically 7th Edition, Rosenwasser and Stephen, ISBN-10: 1285436504 (not available for purchase at WHS)*
*Items with a star indicate suggested purchases
- All math classes: Graphing paper
- Algebra 1: A scientific calculator or a TI-84 graphing calculator*
- Geometry: A scientific calculator or a TI-84 graphing calculator*, compass and protractor
- Algebra 2 or above: a TI-84 graphing calculator*
*High School level math courses require students to use a scientific calculator such as TI-83/TI-84. It is recommended that students purchase their own personal calculator, however the school will provide a calculator as needed.
- Composition notebook
- Colored pencils
- Calculator (no preference)
Health & Fitness – PE Attire:
- Do’s: athletic shoes (with laces); dress code appropriate athletic shorts, sweat pants, warm up pants, and/or yoga pants; t-shirts
- Don’ts: non-athletic shoes (heels, sandals, boots, flats, etc.), jeans, skirts, dresses, slacks, button down shirts, tank tops, jackets (unless outside and it’s cold), revealing clothing
World Language Classes: Optional workbooks will be available for purchase at the Cashier's Office after teachers have distributed syllabi
- 3-ring binder w/dividers
- Loose leaf paper
- Black or blue pens
- #2 pencils
- Dry erase marker
Northshore Schools Foundation: School Supplies Support and Donations
Many of our families have received support with school supplies from the Northshore Schools Foundation, as the foundation collects, organizes, and distributes school supplies to those in need. Thanks are expressed to NSF as well as the many businesses, families, and individuals who have contributed.
Northshore Schools Foundation: Request for Removing Barriers Support
Basic Needs Aid
When a family is in crisis and normal household activities are disrupted, students experience distress that affects their attendance, coursework and classroom behavior. NSF's Basic Needs Aid Fund allows families to stock up on groceries or fill the car with fuel so that they can direct their energy where it is most needed: finding a permanent solution to the situation at hand.
Apply for Funds
1.) For WHS students, contact Counselor and CARE Team member Sarah Brenner at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or your student's school counselor or grade-level administrator to describe the temporary challenge or circumstance and request support. All NSF funding requests must come from an approved school staff member.
2.) The NSD staff member will submit your request using this link.
3.) Foundation leadership will review the request within 5 days and contact the NSD staff that submitted the request with details regarding funding.
NSD School Supply Advisory Committee
- Learn more about NSD's School Supply Advisory Committee.